Destress Your Work Day
The workday can become overwhelming if you don’t have a plan to stay calm and relaxed. The following is a list of ideas to incorporate into your day to relieve stress and refresh your energy levels.
1. Sit on a big exercise ball instead of a chair. It is better for your back and posture. It can also make you feel more energetic.
2. Look away from the computer screen every 45 minutes to relieve eyestrain . Stand up and walk around for a minute every hour to avoid low-back pain. When you make a phone call, stand on one leg. It strengthens your legs and keeps your balance sharp.
3. Pick a special day to do something for yourself. Have a picnic lunch with a coworker, schedule your mammogram, or skip out for a short stroll in the sunshine.
4. Remember to breathe. If work stress sends you into a panic, do a short meditation: Close your eyes and take a slow, deep breath; imagine yourself sitting on your favorite beach, and just focus on your breathing. Slowing down to breathe can help to dispel anxiety and help you approach with the crisis with a new perspective.
5. Wash your hands every time you pass a sink—it’s a great way to ward off germs and avoid catching the current office bug.
6. See the light. If you feel tired, anxious, or have cravings at work, poor office lighting may be giving you mild symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Try a desk lamp designed for light therapy (you can find them on our online shop), and make a point to get outside for lunch.
7. Control your e-mail time. Designate times throughout the day to open and answer messages, and try to avoid reading them as they pop into your box. Constant distractions can make you weary.
8. Leave it behind. When you head home for the day, walk or commute without mulling over work concerns. If you drive, roll down the windows and listen to music. Embrace the feeling of freedom as you head to your next destination. This will help you start again with fresh eyes in the morning.
9. Get up and walk around the block once a day to break the routine and clear your mind.
10. Give yourself a break. It is important to take a break from your work to rejuvenate at mid-day. Even with a deadline looming don’t be tempted to eat your lunch at your desk. Get up and move around, eat slow and mindfully, and have a laugh with co-workers or a good friend. You will be more productive for your afternoon workload.
Follow us on: